Sunday, November 05, 2006

Overwhelmed by the Love of Allah.

Assalamu alaykum
.
Overwhelmed!.... in reflection of the last couple of weeks I've had....that is the word that comes to mind.
.
Subhnallah... I am just sitting here in awe of Allah! In awe of those who have been blessed with the high levels of Ehsaan, Subhanallah, how i wish to be one of those who are experiencing the true love for Allah (Ishq Haqiqi).
.
"The face of one who sincerely loves Allah ('ashiq) glows with the spiritual radiance (nur) of love for Allah. The knotted hearts of ordinary people become untied when they glanced upon such a face".
.
These people who - when they are seen - Allah is remembered.
.
Ive been reading book which was given to me by a beloved sister of mine, (Jazakallah khair sis, you know you have a special place in my heart, that's 'Ishq Majazi;)). The book is called "Love for Allah" by Shaykh Zulfiqar Ahmad, translated by Brigadier Ashfaq Ashraf.
.
The book covers the following: 1) The importance of Love for Allah 2) The effects of love for Allah 3) The conditions of the lovers of Allah in this world 4) A comparison between love ('ishq) and intellect ('aql) 5) True love ('Ishq Haqiqi) and metaphorical love ('Ishq Majazi) 6) The condition of the lovers of Allah when dying 7) The condition of the lovers of Allah in their graves 8) The conditions of the lovers of Allah on the Day of Judgment 9) The signs of a sincere lover 10) Love for Allah in the present times 11) How to attain love for Allah 12) The difference between a Murid and a Murad
.
Although this book is small and relatively light in appearance... appearances can be deceiving! I have found this book to be a eye opener and more importantly a heart opener!
.
"Traveling the path becomes difficult if one's footsteps follow the dictates of the intellect alone. The path leading to Allah has many points where the intellect falters, causing one to stumble. However, if one rides the mount of love, one easily races along the path. And, endeavors that a person deems impossible are rendered possible by Love."
.
One leap of love has completed the journey,
I had thought this Earth and sky to by boundless.
.
The simplicity of the way the book is written by a person who is a person deeply in love with his most Beloved, Allah. His words emanate from the heart, such that it effects the heart of the reader immensely.
.
"When an ordinary person says something it has no effect on others. When spoken to a person imbued with love for Allah, the same words penetrate the innermost recesses of the heart."
.
Words which come from the heart
Have an incredible effect.
.
The entire book effected me a lot and put a lot of things into perspective. The book begins by explaining the importance of love and the role of love in a person's heart
.
"The human body is composed of limbs and organs, each with a unique trait: seeing is the trait of the eye; listening is the trait of the ear; and smelling is the trait of the nose. Similarly, loving is the trait of the heart; the heart is always in love with someone"
.
Be it with a stone, God, or anyone else
There comes not tranquility without loving
The heart is the ocean of love; love is its act,
Guard it a thousand ways; it will still fall in love.
.
Subhanallah, the author mixes his knowledge with love and his love with poetry, but I cannot but dream of words which would be better for such a immensely fantastic topic.
.
Another point which made me reanalyse my own condition was the difference between True love ('Ishq Haqiqi) and metaphorical love ('Ishq Majazi).
.
"To love those among creation that Allah has commanded to love is in truth a completion of love for Allah. A hadith states that the Prophet (salalhi wa alyhiwa salam) used to supplicate;
.
O Allah, I ask of You Your love and the love of those who love You.
.
Therefore, to love the Prophet (salalhi wa alyhiwa salam) is in reality to love Allah. Similarly, love for the noble Companions (Sahabah) AS, the family of Prophet (salalhi wa alyhiwa salam), and the friends (awliya) of Allah also falls in this category. In addition, love for one's shaykh is also due to love for Allah. There are certain limits to these loves of creation and to exceed these limits, or to fall short of them, is considered a sin, In essence, to have love for the Prophet (salalhi wa alyhiwa salam) is a condition of one's faith (Iman). While, to love one's shykh, parents, children, spouse is the completion and perfection of one's love for Allah. Thus, true love ('ishq haqiqi) is to love both Allah and those among His creation that He has commanded us to love"
.
How to attain such a blessed unique quality is hard to those only whose hearts are not opened to Allah.
.
"The foremost condition of attaining love for Allah is to sincerely crave for such love. A person may acquire the material world (dunya) passively, but true love ('ishq) is a treasure; therefore it cannot be acquired unless one actively seeks it.
.
I am humbled by my abaseness, and in awe of Your exaltedness,
Yet, what can I do of my heart, still it desires to reach you.
.
So we must be yearning for Allah, be sincere in wanted to meet Him.
.
I'm off to read the book again... you can never get enough of a good book! I haven't touched on half the things that the author has, and I haven't done justice to it, so please get a hold of a copy and read it.
.
wassalam
Keep me in your duas

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assalamu 'alaykum,

No doubt the book has its benefits. Although I would be cautious as to ascribing the term 'ishq to Allah. I disagree. In fact this is a common trait of the heretical sufis. Never has 'ishq been mentioned in the Qur'an or sunnah in regards to Allah. If 'ishq is of a higher platform to Mahabbah/hubb then it would have been attributed to the Prophet (Saw)in regards to his love of Allah since he reached the highest of platforms in regards to loving Allah. But never has this been found either in the Qur'an, sunnah or statements of the sahabah. The believers are described in the Quran as loving Allah (hubb) and Allah loving them back (hubb), and that is the ideal for every Muslim to attain. Unfortunately, many of those who were led astray always were in search of something more than they found in the divine text, not being satisfied with that what Allah had given them. And this has been the way of most major sects if looked at with a careful eye. The extreme sufis are no exception to this.

'Ishq can only truly exist between two humans, not with Allah and a person. But to explain this will require an essay in an of itself! And the 'ishq that exists between humans is debatable as to whether it is healthy or not! That is why most scholars have clearly said that the term 'ishq ilaahi is a innovation in the religion that was invented by the sufis as said by ibn al Jawzi in his book talbees iblees and many other scholars. A pious and famous woman, Rabi'ah al Adawiyyah, was labelled as shaheedatul 'ishq al ilaahi (a Martyr of 'ishq ilaahi) by some people when she died, but they were to be rebuked later by scholars for ascribing such a thing to Allah that was never previously claimned.

The author is even a self proclamined Naqshanbandi, a sufi order riddled with unfound practices in Islam.

The effect of an eloquent tongue that strikes one's heart will only wither away. That is why heretics do not actually get enough of their innovations, instead they search in vain thinking that they have reached a spiritual peak, hence feel the need to search higher, but in reality, they havent raised a foot above the ground since the love of Allah has been barred from their hearts. I am not claiming that this applies to the author, but people can easily be fooled by tempting terms like 'ishq ilaahi, but in reality the light of the flame that the term once coined in one's heart will eventually fade.

After research i came to realise that this term, 'ishq ilaahi is in fact a deviation in thinking. I am sure that if you were to ask realiable scholars about this you will reach the same conclusion.

I am ample amount of resources in this matter, but i am not sure it will be of much help since it is in Arabic.

anyway, ive rambled on...but if i were you...i'd be a bit careful!

w/salam

bintyaqub said...

assalamu alaykaum

al-kalim-al-tayyib, jazakallah khair for your comments, I will comment on your blog... hmm you got a bird!!!! I think the next step will be to get a.... you know the rest right?! if you dont ask my sister!!

You said the book is ok, you supose, what do you really think? Please let me know. The link is for the book, so I assume you read it all!

Anonymous, Jazakallah khair, hmm I think I know who you are! Can you give me thr source of your research Inshallah al-kalim-al-tayyib can help with the arabic!

By the way I am not a super Sufi!!! I had my doubts about parts of the book, but there were parts which really effected me and made me weep, Subhnallah, it has really made my prespectives change. Inshallah I will do some more research on the topic myself.

Jazakallah khair once again for your very valuble input

wassalam

bintyaqub said...

Also...

in the book the author does descibe the definition of what is meant by love.

he describes love as being muhabbah,

In chapter 1, page 10. Read that and let me know what you think.

Anonymous said...

Assalamu 'alaykum,

Yes, I agree we should take the good and leave the bad, but this principle has it's restrictions as well. Can this principle apply to those who are unaware of what is right and what is wrong in the finer details of tasawwuf and bid'ah? (no insinuations made!) I think the original post answers my question :)

I came across this wacko video of extreme sufis....deadly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTs7iJg6CCw

Insha'allah when i have some time, i will respond to the other questions raised...

In the mean time, here is a fatwa on applying the term 'ishq to Allah:

http://www.islamway.com/?iw_s=Fatawa&iw_a=view&fatwa_id=8500

Here is a short audio clip entitled "'Ishq & its cure" (notice how he used the word 'cure')by Sh Muhammed ibn Isma'eel al Muqaddam from Egypt. (I love this sheikh, a true man of wisdom!)

http://www.islamway.com/?iw_s=Lesson&iw_a=view&lesson_id=51866

To be honest, both links dont really speak about the permissable 'ishq. Anyhow, I still think one cannot apply the term to Allah.

For more clarification the following works can be consulted:

1. Madaarij as-Saalikeen (chapter of Mahabbah) by ibn al Qayyim.

2. Rawdatul Muhibbeen, ibn al Qayyim.

3. Tareeq al Hijratayn (chapter on definition of love and shawq)

4. Zaad al Ma'aad (chapter: Nikaah) by Ibn al Qayyim.

5. Tawq al Hammaam by Ibn Hazm.

6. Az-Zahraa' by Ibn Hazm.

7. Talbees Iblees (chapter on Sufis) by ibn al Jawzi.

Well thats all I can think of now.

(Well, im sure i've given my identity away now!)

Im trying to think how I can write a concise answer without writing a lecture.

I would have said just simply read the above, but who has the time these days???

W/salam.

Abu Anonymous

bintyaqub said...

assalamu alaykum

Al kalim al Tayyib (always speak a good word) Inshallah we all try to! And yes everyone makes mistakes! :)

*mouth wide open*.. Wow.. thats sum carzy stuff by beyound words films!!!!

erm.. nope I dont do dat kinda do stuff, nor do any of the sufis I met... well hmm maybe some people i met.. but thats a different story!

Not all sufis are crazy! But some do have some crazy hair!

Interesting opinions. Jazakallah khair

Anonymous said...

Salaam.

Aaah, I truthfully found alot of comfort in this book..and recommended it to my sis bintyaqub;D..Nope I aint no super sufi,actually i'm always regarded as the opposite for those who meet me first time :s,nope I aint no super salafi either,hehe,hoping to be amongst the ahlus sunnah wa jama'ah inshaAllaah (!) and just a slave unlocking the barriers to get closer to the love of Allaah, as all believers should try to attain..The whirling derveshes are another level..lol..
As al-kalim-al-tayyib commented; take that which is beneficial and leave the rest. I agree :) For those who have a firm hold on the deen can decipher what to take as means of benefit and what to leave, regardless of the amount of 'ilm a person has, as Allaah guides the heart of the sincere to Haqq in all regards.
Even though I did find few sections eye-brow raising, overall the benefit outweighed that.So thought I'd share that :D
As the discussion is about 'ishq; to help me understand abu anonymous if you could define difference between 'mahabbah' and ''ishq'? As from your posts it seemed to me it was the 'word' itself that is wrong term to be used; what that of the 'ishq haqiqi [True love for Allaah] and 'ishq majazi [love for creations]? As you stated "'Ishq can only truly exist between two humans, not with Allah and a person." How would the above definitions be clarified?
Please don't get me wrong, just wanna understand :)
Still rate the book ;D

Wsalaam.

Anonymous said...

Do you guys not think many scholars have differed on this?? who are we?? we are no ALims? lets not talk with out ilm?? unless we have study the deen and in detail and this Topic in detail..

I would ask you all to read and study with a shk the Book Manhajul-Anbiyaa fid-Da’wah illAllaah feehil-Hikmah wal-’Aql.. a book on dawah :)

salams:)

bintyaqub said...

Assalamu alykum

OK, I think I need to referee here... This was not my intention when I started this blog, to cause arguments.

I didnt delete anyones posts, as I didnt want to silence anyone on the matter.

However, yes we should not speak without knowledge. But those who did give an opinion did cite where they were refering from. And others including myself are asking questions for clarification or to make us think a little. Ok but I do agree with you Umm Misbah that we need to study the topic in more detail.

Jazakallah khair for those who posted.

Wassalam

Anonymous said...

Assalamu 'alaykum,

Well, ive been researching the matter in more detail and have read the book again. Sooo i have decided to write a long piece on the issue. Insha'allah then i will let you guys decide.

Im not being picky as I believe I have some MAJOR observations about the book I am sure you would all want to read. And yes, I am not an 'Aalim' but what I am writing is simply some collated material on the matter written by great scholars. Ive currently written just under 1000 words. I expect to finish it tommorow ending up being 3-4 thousand words...

Watch this space.

Abu Anonymous.

Anonymous said...

Assalamu 'alaykum.

Gosh, this is taking longer than I thought. Ive stumbled across more valuble sources that I am looking into. Imam Shaf'i used to say: "The more knowldge I gain the more I realise how ignorant I am." :(

Still hold onto my views though ;)

C/W deadlines have caught up with me, so im slightly putting it on the back burner for a few days.

W/salam.

Abu Anonymous (well kind of)

Anonymous said...

Salaam

I remembered about my posting here and thought i'd come in and check any new updates :)

Sup bintyaqub!;) hehe

Ok, im not sure how old the previous posts are, but the ones by abu anonymous intrigued me...I am assuming the notes compiled by urself are still under construction?!;D
I await the 3000 word essay...
How true are the words of Imam Shafi' (Rahimaullaah)

Wassalaam

Err...anonymous1..hehe

bintyaqub said...

Assalamu alaykum

Dear anonymous1 :D... u joka!

well I've been kinda busy, I dnt have the will to write at the moment, I want to read, Im in a reading mode at the moment, went to the IOG course (btw where were u!) Subhnallah Im still in shock, amazment, bewilderment and awe! ( i think that should cover it). Maybe Ill write glimses of my notes, but at the moment everything is sinking in, and my heart isnt in the fit state to talk! (u know why right!!) Inshallah give me time :) (Im waitin 4 u btw!)

oh im waiting 4 da looooooooong essay 2... in da meanwhile I came across some interesting peices of works, Mashallah im loving the people of tasawuf :D

wassalam
be good!
take care!

Anonymous said...

Salaam bintyaqub

I am waiting for u too!;)

I have written bout IOG on my blog so do share ur notes there...I too wish I was there! But this is why I have sisters like urself to give me the insight into the knowledge you have gained to illuminate my heart ;)

till my next post inshaAllaah

Wassalaam

Anonymous1 ;D

Anonymous said...

Well, its comming soon hopefully.

Theres a rare book i have come across, but i am finding it hard to get a hold of it. Nevertheless, due to how hectic things have been for me lately, I guess it will be ready in a couple of weeks.

bintyaqub said...

Assalamu alaykaum Anonymous1 aka sis...erm, febreeze! muhahahaha! (oh private joke :D)

IOG notes coming soon Inshallah, I aint been able to write up my notes, we had homework lol!

But will do soon Inshllah

The other anonymous...
Ok Jazakallah khair, take your time and leave time for your other 'hectic things'.

Anonymous said...

SubhanAllaah!

You should all fear Allah. This is open free mixing.

Brothers speaking with Sisters... Sisters speaking with Brothers... Everyone showing they're personalities. Where's your Haya?

Hiding behind anonymous isnt really anonymous, but its become a game!

For this blog to carry on we should adopt Islamic adaab and delete personal comments that reflect our personalities InshaAllaah.

SubhanAllaah